Saturday, November 15, 2008

Items From My Past (Part 4)


Some Industrial Arts projects from 7th or 8th grade. I remember I shot my rocket off before the countdown was finished. It wasn't even close. I wasn't listening closely enough when Mr.Boettcher gave instructions for the launcher. I remember there was a switch and a red button on it. I misunderstood and thought that the switch was supposed to be turned first at anytime during the countdown from 10 and then we pressed the red button to launch at the finish of the countdown. I don't know how I got that idea, but I flipped the switch halfway through the count of nine, then it went dead silent as my rocket shot up into the sky. I was as shocked as everyone else was.
Impressions of my teeth before I had braces. Some of the teeth are broken out but I think they were always like that. I wonder if dentists still give these away when they're done with them.

Strong Funds compressed t-shirt. I don't know why I've kept this. My grandma gave it to me a long time ago. It's sort of a novelty item I guess. It's fairly small. Without measuring I'd say maybe 4" x 2.5" x 1.5". Strong Funds doesn't exist anymore.

I don't know when I started buying 45 RPM records, but without counting I'd guess that I have about 40 of them. I think I probably bought them from sometime around 6th grade up until about the time they stopped selling them outside of music shops. The centers of a 7" record are bigger so you have to use one of these center adapters. If this shape looks familiar it's because Jessica, AKA "Sugar" on Survivor Gabon wears a necklace that's shaped like this.
A photo strip from what I believe was my first photo booth experience. If you saw me walking down the street today you'd have a hard time matching me up with the guy in these photos. I saw my girlfriend that's in these photos about 2 years ago and she looks pretty much the same. I found another photo of us with the Easter Bunny but that never needs to see the light of day as far as I'm concerned. I didn't want to do it in the first place but it was early on in the relationship and I got pressured into it by her and her friend. We were at the mall looking around at prom dresses as I recall. Seems odd that I was even along for that.




My Wendy's uniform. I have the apron, pants, shirt, hat, name tag and everything. Some of the local Wendy's franchises were owned by Junior Bridgeman the former Milwaukee Bucks player. That's why it says Bridgeman Foods on the uniform sleeve. I met him a time or two when he came out to our Wendy's. I don't remember how I ended up with the wall plaque with the Wendy's Creed on it. It think it was just laying around in the back office or something and I took it home. I found some old pay stubs too. My first Wendy's stubs say that I made $3.40/hour. I've come a ways since I was 16. I don't think I've ever thrown out a single pay stub from any job I've ever had. I have envelopes labeled for each year full of pay stubs from any job I had going back to when I was 16. I'd probably have them from before that but my paper route didn't pay me by check. I had to go out and collect the money myself straight from my customers. I keep a lot of strange items. I probably wouldn't have all this stuff if I moved more frequently. Plus I've always had the space to keep everything.
My last item is a brochure from my visit to the World Trade Center. We were vacationing in the Poconos and took a bus trip to New York City for a day. We went to the World Trade Center, the Statue of Liberty, and some kind of shopping place near a marina or something. At the World Trade Center we went to the observation floor at the top but for reasons I can't remember nobody was going out on the roof. When I found my box of old vacation brochures I dug around in it right away hoping to find a WTC one considering what's happened to these building since then. I was real happy to find this.

After seeing this aerial photo I was curious so I looked it up which towers got hit when and on what sides with relation to this photo. It breaks down like this:
  • The photo on the brochure is facing about north so 1WTC (north tower) is the more distant one on the left and 2WTC (south tower) is on the right.
  • 1WTC (north tower) got hit at 8:46AM impacting floors 93-99 on the north side (the side opposite of what we can see in the brochure photo). It was hit first but collapsed last at about 10:28AM.
  • 2WTC (south tower) got hit 9:02AM impacting floors 77-85 on the south side. It collapsed at about 9:59AM, a few minutes short of an hour after impact.

No comments: