Friday, November 14, 2008

Items From My Past (Part 3)



My root beer bottle cap collection. One summer sometime in the early 80's probably, I endeavored to drink a bottle of root beer every single night. I saved all the bottle caps for some reason. In the box with all the caps I found a paper ripped from a notebook that breaks down how may caps I had from each brand and the number of ounces and pints of root beer that it equated to. Most people would probably have thrown this type of thing out long ago. I'm not most people. The Grandpa Graf's brand was a distant second to Dad's.
Small 6-1/2 oz bottle of Coke. I don't remember anything about this. I'm going to keep it and not drink it. Coca-Cola beats Pepsi hands down in my book.
I found a couple of VHS tapes with some Tyson fights. I taped them from HBO. I had Tyson vs. Spinks, Tyson vs. Bruno and a Tyson vs Ruddock. There was a lot of commentary and other garbage along with it about the goings on at the time with Robin Givens and different trainers and all that. These fights were all before Tyson bit off a chunk of Evander Holyfield's ear. What a disgrace to humanity that guy was (is?).



Somewhere around the time I was nine I had a Rubik's Cube. After that for birthdays or Christmas I kept getting other similar puzzles. Left to right these are: Alexander's Star, Pyraminx, Rubik's Revenge, The Missing Link, the snake, and Rubik's Magic. I don't think I ever messed up the Alexander's Star. It looks difficult and it's just as stiff as I remember it was when I first got it. I had to use a book to finish the Rubik's Revenge. Some of the same moves applied to it as to the regular cube but the four center pieces instead of the the one was the thing that made it more challenging. I have a newer Rubik's cube now, so when I found my original I threw it out. It was all loose and rickety anyway. I found my Chex cereal cube. I never tried it but there's something called supercubing and you have to line up the center cube correctly in order to have the cube solved completely. My Chex cube has the bananas and blueberries oriented incorrectly by that standard. I remember too the Rubik's Revenge I got from my Aunt and Uncle at Christmas. The first one I had fell completely into pieces as soon as I started moving it around. There were some counterfeit ones going around so they returned it and got me another one.
An art project from 5th grade Miss Hanrahan's class. It was layers of colored construction paper cut out and glued together. After that we folded sand paper in half and sanded whatever we wanted to, to reveal the layers. For the last step we painted over it with something clear to seal the whole thing up. I opted for the my last initial instead of a simple shape or a letter J. It was more challenging because it required a certain amount of accuracy cutting out all of the holes for the all the layers of B's that I glued together.

No comments: