Sunday, November 09, 2008

Items From My Past (Part 1: The Early Years)

I've had this ongoing project sorting through boxes I took from my parents attic when they moved recently. The project got rolled into a closet organizing project I started earlier in the year and together it's taking me a lot longer than it should to get everything sorted through and into new storage bins and put away. I'm getting accustomed to all the clutter but I'm nearly finished. I'll be able to vacuum again soon!

These are some items from my past I found.
I remember having this belt buckle in 3rd grade. I maybe had it for some years before or after, but 3rd grade sticks with me for some reason. At some point in my life I began to prefer Jim to Jimmy. I stopped wearing it for other reasons than that I'm sure, but that could have been one of them.
This is Super Grover. I got him as an Easter gift. I remember my parents put him riding on a horse we had as a door stop and I found him while we were searching for eggs. I remember going to church and all I could think about was my new Super Grover. Hard to believe I thought it was that cool. Maybe that's why I never got rid of him. I also found an Oscar the Grouch I had.

I was never particularly attached to this tiger in any way. I'm not sure why I kept it. I'm pretty sure it was on a birthday cake of mine one year but that seems odd since it's fabric. You can't see in the photo but it's head is nearly ripped off. I think from a real life cat attacking it.
This sad little boy is me. The suit was green and I absolutely hated wearing it. The backside of the photo says "November 1976". My mom says I wouldn't wear any new clothes at that time because they weren't "mine". I don't know if that's true exactly but that's what she says. It probably had more to do with hating to wear turtle neck shirts and uncomfortable green suits.


I used to have these around my room when I was little. I never knew where they came from. I'm now able to identify these as Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The carved wooden one broke at the ankles one time when it fell but I got him back together.
My half done latch hook Santa. I remember my mother doing several latch hooks around the time that she had cancer. I used to help her on some of them so she got me one of my own. Hers were always much bigger. You could accuse me of being a person that "starts projects but doesn't finish them", and not be incorrect. That's still somewhat true of me today.

My Jesus night lamp. I had this in my room probably around the same time as the Canadian mounted policemen. I don't know when this got put away, but I suppose eventually I wasn't bothered by total darkness at night when I went to sleep. I'd put this in my room now but the cord is a bit dry looking...could be a fire hazard. I can't bring myself to throw it away unless I can get a new one first. The cord is rolled into the metal somehow so the cord couldn't be replaced easily.

No comments: