Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vista

I just replaced each workstation computer we have in our network at work with a new Dell Optiplex that has Vista Business Edition on it. I've spent the last 2 weeks or so plugging in each new machine in turn and adjusting network settings, setting up admin and user accounts, setting up programs, transfering email archives and running updates and all of that stuff. Then Saturday with some help from a co-worker we took the old monitors and towers away and setup the new ones. Everyone will have a nice new 22" flat screen and fresh, brand spanking new computer on Monday. And a dust free desk and fresh vacuumed floor under their desk on top of that. I spent nearly my entire Saturday day doing all this moving around and cleaning up. After I finished my final checklist on each workstation I was ready to go home. I was exhausted and I felt like I didn't want to look at a computer for a long while.


I hadn't seen Vista until we got these computers. It took some getting used to at first. Finding where all the settings are took some getting used to. They seem to have renamed some of the control panel items and I've found I still need to switch from category view to classic few to find everthing. I've found all the stuff I need to in Vista and I'm adjusting to Office 2007. I don't see why Vista is criticized so much. I suppose now that it has been out for more than a year and SP1 is out all the kinks are worked out. I planned ahead to be sure all the software we use can run on Vista and aside from updating a few programs of mine we were good all around. I was due for a couple updated programs anyhow.

Now that I've seen Vista and worked on it, those Apple commercials that I hate that always bash PC's seem even stupider. I think the folks bashing Vista probably need to take a closer look in the mirror or look at who is behind the keyboard before blaming Microsoft or Vista for all their problems. Personal responsibility isn't popular these days.

No comments: