Sunday, September 17, 2006

Don't shop at Bike n Ski

At the Maywood Earth Ride I was the winner of a pair of cycling gloves from Bike'n Ski. I never won a door prize anywhere before where the odds were so slim so I thought that it was pretty cool no matter what it was. I went to the information desk to pick them up but they only had medium and small sizes. The Maywood volunteer kindly wrote down directions for me to get to the Bike'n Ski shop which was right there in downtown Sheboygan so I could exchange the pair they gave me for a large. This is where the experience goes south. On the drive over I contemplated whether or not this was just a clever scheme to get me in the store. I had dismissed the idea but when I first got there the guy was already helping some other people so if that was their plan it was working so far. I am afterall in the market for a new bike and I've also been considering a new helmet. I browsed the store and eventually found the gloves. They didn't appear to have any large on the rack but I figured I'd wait and see what the guy said. Soon he was free and I explained the situation. He walked over to the same rack as I had and made the same discovery. The first solution was for me to come back when they had some available but I explained that that wouldn't be practical since I don't live in the area. It's probably a good and hour and 15 minute drive one way for me. There were some other gloves on the same rack that were the same brand but a different style. They did have large ones there and so I suggested that since they didn't have the others I would be willing to take one of those and just pay any difference in cash. He said, "No I can't do that. It's a donation and donations don't work that way". Can you believe that? I mean I believe one should be happy with what you have. A gift is a gift, and a prize is a prize, but the fact is it's not at all a prize for me if it doesn't fit me. I'd understand his position if say for example I had won a 19" TV or something and I just didn't like it or have a use for it. Then I came in and said what I would really like to do is exchange for this 27" TV....pay the difference etc. Now that would take balls. But this is entirely different. We're not talking about something that I didn't like or isn't what I wanted. I'm not unhappy winning gloves. I'm not unhappy with the particular brand or style of them but the issue is their size. If you're going to give away something like gloves where the fit of them is a rather critical element at least have all sizes available. At the very least be willing to work something out if the sizes available don't fit the winner. What do they do when they give away a bike? This isn't rocket science. Isn't part of the purpose of being a ride sponsor and donating door prizes to promote the business? That was working until I started talking to the guy that was working there that day. They got the right idea being sponsors and donating door prizes but their customer service sure sucks. Needless to say they lost any business that I might have given them. I left unhappy and not feeling much like a winner at all. I'd advise against shopping there. Buy your bikes and gear where they care about making customers happy.

No comments: