Sunday, September 17, 2006

Maywood 2006

I look forward to the Maywood Earth Ride all year and yesterday it was on another beautiful September day like every other year I've done it. It was much windier that usual, and usually it is windy. Flags were straight out on their poles so riding South into the wind was challenging.

The first year I did this ride (2004) I did the 25 mile route and it felt like I finished before I was even started. Last year I did the 50 mile route and it was more challenging than I anticipated. As it turned out the route wasn't just more of the same but instead it included a stretch of road that goes up and down and over some steep hills like a roller coaster. The loop back was on different roads but the hills were similar. Because I had no idea it would be like that, my pacing was all messed up and so I was pretty well tapped out by the 35 mile mark. It didn't help either that I had skipped the first rest area and the chance to eat something there or that I had, had the flu earlier in that week.

This year I chose the 25 mile route when I registered. I later thought that maybe I would finish the 25 miles and then start from the beginning again and take the shortest route, the 12 mile route. Then Friday night before the ride I decided it would be better to take the 50 mile route and cut if off and back over to the 25 mile route which would give me at least something more than 25 but yet still be less than 50 which I didn't think I wanted to do. I even had it all planned out where I was going to cut over. Yesterday around the time I got to the first rest stop I had pretty much decided to scrap that idea and just do the entire 50 mile route. It was a challenge I just couldn't pass up.

This years ride went entirely different from last years. The route was pretty much the same but since I was familiar with it I paced myself better and finished strong. I was worn down by the end but I never felt completely tapped out the whole time. I felt like a million bucks at the end. I think next year I'll either take it at a quicker pace or do the 65 mile route. That's 364 days away and counting.

No comments: