Sunday, May 07, 2006

Seeders and Leechers

I've been flexing my high speed internet muscles lately and using torrent files to download and share files. If you look you can find a lot of commercially available music and videos out there but there are also a few torrent tracker sites that I've been going to that disallow torrents that contain anything that is available commercially. One such site that I've been using is Bootcity. I've been downloading a bunch of old Led Zeppelin shows that I've wanted for years.

I also use bt.etree.org but not as much so far. If I do this much more I'm going to need another drive to fit all this stuff onto. My 20GB drive has 8 GB free left and my 120GB drive has about 31GB free space. My first computer I ever had, had a hard drive with a capacity of 1-1/2 Gigs. That was about as big as they came on home computers back in '96. It also had 32MB of RAM which was an upgrade I chose from the standard 16MB offering. That's weird to think about. Now I'm downloading torrents that are more than 4GB in size and I have 512MB of RAM. My drives now are mostly filled with tracks I rip from my CDs in order to burn them on mix CDs I make for myself. I've ripped some of the tracks to lossless formats (wav or flac files) and that takes up a lot of space. I think I'm going to start shopping around for a couple of external drives for expansion and for backups. I'm thinking probably 2 drives might be the way to go. I'd probably mirror them and then if one dies the other is a backup. I haven't had a drive crash and burn on me yet but if I can avoid it I'd rather not lose a bunch of files if it ever does happen to me.

No comments: