Thursday, December 29, 2005

Ribs vs. Riblets

Before the Mannheim Steamroller concert we went to Applebee's for dinner. I had a chicken finger and riblet combo platter. I like ribs a lot but I had forgotten that there's a difference between ribs and riblets. They were good but while I was eating them I kept thinking about how I didn't understand exactly what they were. I sometimes make pork ribs at home in my slow cooker and I understand what those are....they're ribs. But I don't understand what riblets are and where they come from. It occurred to me that maybe they're made from piglets. Whatever they are I think that I like eating normal ribs better. I made the diagram below on my computer. It's a representation of what a riblet is. The redish brown stuff is the meat and the gray is the bones inside. The bones are shaped sort of like a slice of bread. Each bone is about an inch tall and maybe 3/16" thick. I think I drew the second one from the left the most accurately.

Until I find out different I think I'm going with my theory that they are made from piglets. I'm sure that can't be right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read that ribbits are parts of the rib they cut off before they make St Louis style ribs. Kind of like leftovers but they're from full size animals