Monday, December 19, 2005

Scolopendra gigantea

I found this picture on Yahoo a couple of months ago. It went along with a story about a guy in London who found this bug in his house. He heard something rustling behind his television or something. Apparently it’s the biggest kind of centipede there is...at least I hope that’s as big as they get. I’m not sure where this guy in the picture fits in. I’m pretty sure he’s not the guy that found it or even if the one he’s got there is the one that guy in London found but this is the picture that went with the story. I hope we don’t have those around here. I don’t know that the climate in London is all that different from here so if they’re there why aren’t they here? I hope I never see one because that thing is huge. I’d probably try to capture it a container instead of trying to kill it outright. What if it was a momma centipede and it had a nest somewhere with eggs? They'd all hatch and I'd have a zillion of the friggin things crawling around my house. I just read up on it at wikipedia (Scolopendra gigantea) I guess I don’t need to worry about that thing around here. It says it lives in South America, Trinidad and Jamaica. Why this story was from London doesn’t make a lot of sense unless the bug was someone’s escaped pet or something.

When I was looking around on the web about it I found this website insectaculture.com. They have some radical pictures of beetles and a lot of other cool looking bugs. It doesn't say anywhere how big these bugs are unless you go to the page where you can buy some of them. Most of the beatles are in the 2-3 inch range but some of them are up to 5 inches long. I took these pictures from that website. You can buy one of these bad boys pictured below for $10 and to make it even simpler they're set up so you can use paypal to pay for it.

No comments: