Thursday, November 02, 2006

I killed rabbits

I shot them. This was many years ago now. I think I was still living at home at the time. We had problems with them eating the garden or plants or something so we kept a pellet gun handy in case we spotted any of them. My mom gave my dad and I the go ahead to kill them. The first one I killed I shot from about 20 yards straight into the rabbits' ear. It was a good shot I thought. It dropped dead instantly right where it sat. The second rabbit I killed first ran off to the neighbors yard. My dad circled around to scare it back toward me. I think it died a shot or 2 later but it was more of a challenge and involved some tactics and strategy. If I remember correctly one of my shots went into its' ear just like my first one. Now the last rabbit I killed I still feel a little bad about. As I approached I could see that it was a pretty small one. It didn't run or anything. I walked right up to it and shot it at pretty close range. I remember beforehand standing there wondering whether I was going to listen to my conscience or to my mother. This one was just too easy. I chose the latter but after that I didn't want to kill any more rabbits. That was the last thing I ever killed. Since then I've only shot at soda cans in the backyard or at pieces of paper at the range.

That same summer was the time when we got a visit from a policeman at our house. Our back yard has a wood fence around it and bushes but apparently a passerby saw us with the pellet gun and called the police on us. I think we stepped outside the fence to see if a rabbit ran that way when they saw I had it. We found out it's against the law to fire a weapon of any kind within our village. I guess that makes sense but whatever. Who gives a rip about hunting rabbits with a pellet gun? It's not like it was a .22 or something. We checked with all our neighbors and they didn't care. They wanted the rabbits gone as much as we did. They were a real problem that year.

No comments: