Sunday, October 17, 2010

One Hundred Twenty-Five

My plan was to do the Door County Century and then do the 100 mile route for Maywood right after that the next Saturday. The only problem was the weather didn't cooperate. I watched the forecast pretty closely the week running up to Maywood. It didn't turn out as bad as the forecast had predicted. It was supposed to rain all morning with thunderstorms in the afternoon. It turned out to be just cloudy with some spots of sun here and there from 9:00 onward. I probably could have done more than the 25 mile route but the weather being so uncertain I didn't. If I do either the 70 or 100 mile routes I have to get up to Sheboygan to start by 7:30 which means I have to get on the road a little after 6AM. I decided to skip that and I slept a little extra instead. The 25 mile route was sort of anti-climactic after doing the Door County Century. Somehow I was rider number 1 according to my wristband, so there's that.
Normally Maywood is the highlight of the year, but instead Door County was. There was much better weather and I completed the whole thing. I was real windy on the route back. I can't recall riding in wind like that all year. Usually if it's that strong I just do something else besides riding my bike out in it. They repaved Lake Forest Park Road since I was last on it which I was pleased about. Toward the end my knee started hurting but other than that I felt pretty good. I have that same pain in my left knee when I hike mountains. It usually starts hurting on the way back down the mountain...not sure why that is. I have never had the knee pain while bike riding until this year. I'm hoping that doesn't become a problem in the future. That could put a dent in my plans to reach enough miles to where I can say, that when added together, I've ridden a bike as many miles as it is around the earth at the equator.

No comments: