Sunday, March 19, 2006

I'm back!

My internet connection has been out for about 2 weeks. I have a wireless connection and for some reason unknown to me or my ISP my modem wasn't catching a quality signal. My ISP came out and gave me one of the newer modems with the digital readout on the front. There is more than one kind of modem and the one they brought was the kind that connects to your computer via an ethernet cable. I didn't have a network card in my computer so in order to get up and running again I had to go out and get one. My old modem was just connected with a cable into a USB port which as it turns out wasn't like most modems...even the old kind like I had. After I got my network card I plugged in my new modem but I still wasn't getting a quality signal. Then later on Tuesday night I went to check the display on the modem and it had 4 bars for signal quality. I was pretty stunned it was working but it has worked fine ever since. I am only a few hundred yards from the transmission tower and I was the only customer with this problem. Whatever it was I'm back and I feel whole again. Having no internet access is pretty rough now that I'm accustomed to it. I mean I don' t miss it if I'm away on vacation or anything but being around the house I just have a difficult time without it. Among other things, I read the news and follow my investments on the internet. I felt out of touch without this. It's sort of like having a subscription to a newspaper but then suddenly no one delivers for 2 weeks. While it happening it is rather irritating and I felt cranky at times about it. I'm getting a free month of service from my internet provider and I now have the newer updated modem so it's not all bad. I think this is one of those crappy things that happens in life sometimes but in the end doesn't really matter that much. I can think of a lot worse things that could happen. Life without internet access isn't exactly all that rough in the broader scheme of things.

No comments: