Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patriot Day


Today is Patriot Day. I had the day off from work for completely unrelated reasons. I'd call it R & R, but it wasn't that exactly unless 45 miles of biking with half of that into a stiff 16mph wind is your idea of relaxing. I relaxed some in the morning and then took off around noon. Earlier in the morning I was listening to Vicki McKenna which I normally never do since I'm always working those hours of the day. Among other topics (Obama/Biden gaffes etc) she derided the Madison radio stations and Milwaukee stations who did not observe any of the moments of silence associated with today. In addition she was having listeners phone or email in the names of companies which were or were not appropriately flying the flag at half staff. I did my own survey of this on my bike ride today. I lost count of the residences that had the flag all the way up. I only can recall one that was correctly at half. I could give one of these a pass because there was vegetation nearly all the way up the pole. Getting this wrong today is not really something I can get myself all worked up about, but there is something to be said for those that got it correct. Vicki's list of companies flying the flag correctly at half staff here. From memory this is my list.

Correctly at half staff:
Innoware in Menomonee Falls, WI
Desert Aire in Germantown, WI
D & G Transportation in Germantown
Germantown High School
Ben Franklin Elementary MF
Shady Lane Elementary MF
A fire station in Germantown
Germantown Police station
M&I Bank in MF
Davians in MF
The Odyssey Family Restaurant in MF

Flying a flag, but incorrectly:
Kohls (not the store but the company headquarters in Menomonee Falls)
Wacker Corporation in Germantown industrial park
Menomonee Falls High School (neither the flag at the football field or the one at front of the school)
American Legion Post in Germantown

No comments: