Sunday, May 11, 2008

Victory!

I'm declaring victory over the ants that invaded my kitchen. This last Monday the invasion got a lot worse after I dumped a can of pears into a container to take to work and then left the empty can on my counter all day. I was in for a big surprise when I got home. The can and a dirty butter knife I left out were crowded with ants. I sucked up a whole trail of them through the extension on the vacuum but more of them appeared soon after. I've seen a few ants here and there leading up to this week so I've been leaving out some of this old poison I had. You dump a bit on some foil and the ants are supposed to be attracted to it. Instead the pretty much ignored it. After the escalation in ants brought on by my empty pear can, it was time to get serious. I went out and got some brand new, fresh Terro liquid ant baits at Walmart. I put one on the counter and one next to the fridge where the ants seemed to be gathering and they worked pretty good. The traps took care of most of them in less than 48 hours. I still have a few stragglers but I'm sure they'll die soon too. This Jones stuff must be some pretty serious poison. The label says to bury the container when it's empty. My bottle is over half full so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to with this old bottle now that I have new traps that actually work. Burying it in my backyard doesn't seem any safer than tossing it in the trash. Aren't they just going to bury it at the garbage dump anyway?

No comments: